In the morning decisions can be hard, waffles? French toast? but I want Cinnamon and not a heap of washing up. Well here is the solution to that breakfast dilema; Cinnamon French Toast Waffles !
A couple of years ago I came across the idea of cooking French toast, or “Eggy bread” as it is known in the UK, with a waffle iron. It’s a really old idea and has been done many times and in many ways before or since. Be warned that once you try it you will be making it more often than you might dare admit.
The video link within the recipe is to a YouTube video from my channel, which shows the method in just a couple of minutes.
The recipe is fairly basic, and you are welcome to interpret it how you wish. We love these with ice-cream and maple syrup, whipped sweetened cream cheese, simply buttered, or as part of a much larger breakfast feast with bacon, sausages, beans, mushrooms, hashbrowns, tomato, spinach, avocado, eggs etc, just please invite me if you do this.
For this recipe, and as you can see in the video, I have used a square waffle iron that takes two slices of bread at a time. If your waffle iron is larger and takes four all the better. However, if you have a small round waffle iron, you may have to cook just one slice at a time, or even cut to size before dipping into the egg.
Cinnamon French Toast Waffles
- 1 Waffle iron
- 1 small bowl
- 1 fork
- 4 each eggs
- 8 slices bread
- 2 tblsp cinnamon
- 1 each spray veg oil only a squirt!
- Turn on the Waffle iron and allow it to come to cooking temperature
- Lightly spray the iron with the veg oil
- Crack the eggs in the bowl, add the cinnamon and whisk with the fork to combine.
- Dip one slice of bread at a time and place in the waffle iron.
- Cook until preferred doneness.
- Serve with a combination of ice-cream, maple syrup, fresh fruit, bacon, or all of these.